FIT Awards Roman + Williams Lawrence Israel Prize
New York’s most fashionable people spend their time in spaces designed by local firm Roman + Williams, so fitting that the Fashion Institute of Technology honors them with the prestigious Lawrence Israel Prize. The award, given each year to an individual or firm whose projects provide inspiration for FIT’s students, will be presented tonight at FIT’s Katie Murphy Amphitheatre, accompanied by a talk by Roman + Williams co-founders Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch.
Inaugurated in 1998, the prize was endowed by Lawrence J. Israel to create a dialogue between FIT students and notable figures in the design and architecture fields. “Our whole staff is thrilled to be part of the history of the Lawrence Israel Prize,” says Stephen Alesch. “The rigor and chutzpah of the staff we have worked with from FIT has always been a real pleasure for us. We are so excited!”
Alesch and Standefer founded Roman + Williams in 2002, after years of working on set designs for the likes of Martin Scorcese. They’ve brought that filmic sensibility to hotspots across the city, including the Royalton Hotel, Andres Balazs’ Standard Hotel, and the Ace Hotel—iconic spots with a timeless style that students are likely to study well into the future.
The event begins at 6 PM and is free and open to the public, with no reservations required.
share your comment
by Andrew Stone | posted on Oct 8, 2013
by Matthew Powell | posted on Oct 1, 2013
by Staff | posted on Sep 24, 2013
- Tony Chi Brings the Chic to Andaz 5th Avenue by Nicholas Tamarin | posted on September 21, 2010
- Mathias Kiss Installs 1,000 Mirrors at Le Perle Café by Tamara Moscowitz | posted on October 9, 2013
- Frank Gehry’s Fish Lamps on View at New York’s Jewish Museum by Nicholas Tamarin | posted on August 30, 2010
- sahar on Michael Graves Exhibits Recent Work
- Industrial Designers on Interior Design Reveals 2013 Hall of Fame Inductees
- malak a.aburesha on 10 Questions With… Maria Vafiadas
- First Wives Club on Bentley Prince Street CEO Anthony Minite Resigns
- dwgindir.com on Edra Reveals Italian Furniture Process at DDC