Richard Meier Breaks Ground on South Korea Resort
by Katie Bone | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 | 1 Comment
Richard Meier and Partners has broken ground on the firm’s first project in South Korea, the HH Resort Hotel and Spa in the town of Gangneung. Situated at the top of a hill on the northeast coast, the hotel will feature 150 guest rooms, a banquet hall, an exhibition hall, an amphitheater, a beach house, a restaurant, and a wellness spa. Views of the sea will be available from most guest rooms, and those at the rear of the hotel will have views of the Taebaek Mountains and the Gyeongpo Lake.
The hotel was designed to compliment its coastal landscape, with a banquet hall situated above the beach, elevated by pilotis and connected via a bridge to the main building’s entrance plaza. The main building will be positioned at the summit of a densely forested hill above the beach, while the bold geometric form of the 15-story tower will stand in contrast to the organic shapes below, achieving a graceful harmony between structure and landscape.
The HH Resort Hotel and Spa is one of many projects currently being designed and built in the region. Gangneung will host all of the indoor sports at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics, and all facilities will be newly built. Richard Meier and Partners expect the hotel to be completed in 2015 and ready well before the 2018 Winter Olympic Games.
Dukho Yeon, associate partner-in-charge of the project, says, “South Korea is an economic powerhouse and continues to grow rapidly, with a great appreciation of the arts and design. This first project is a result of the owner’s vision to create not only a commercially successful building, but architecture with the highest standards and a lasting quality that everyone can appreciate.”
share your comment
by Andrew Stone | posted on Oct 8, 2013
by Matthew Powell | posted on Oct 1, 2013
by Staff | posted on Sep 24, 2013
- Interior Design Reveals 2013 Hall of Fame Inductees by Staff | posted on September 24, 2013
- Mathias Kiss Installs 1,000 Mirrors at Le Perle Café by Tamara Moscowitz | posted on October 9, 2013
- Tony Chi Brings the Chic to Andaz 5th Avenue by Nicholas Tamarin | posted on September 21, 2010
- sahar on Michael Graves Exhibits Recent Work
- Industrial Designers on Interior Design Reveals 2013 Hall of Fame Inductees
- malak a.aburesha on 10 Questions With… Maria Vafiadas
- First Wives Club on Bentley Prince Street CEO Anthony Minite Resigns
- dwgindir.com on Edra Reveals Italian Furniture Process at DDC